Thursday, May 04, 2006

Right Result Apparently for the Wrong Reasons

So the jury opted for life without parole rather than the death penalty for Zacarias Moussaoui. I can't say that I'm torqued up over that beyond my default opposition for the use of the death penalty in the US. In other words, I'm fairly well aligned with Mark Shea's position as a Just War advocate and don't share Peggy Noonan's despair.

A couple of weeks ago, Holy Fool went through the Church's position on torture with his usual aplomb. And I've been noodling on it since then.

For now, I am still mulling a question. Looking at all three of these situations (capital punishment, Just War, and torture) rooted in a response to the Fifth Commandment (enter the CCC here), is it just me, or is there a natural tension among them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Because Life is Life
and not just on election day